Learning Occupational Health by Experiencing Risks (LOcHER)
What is LOcHER?
An approach for students and apprentices to identify health and safety risks in their area of study; learn about them and showcase how they can protect their health and safety; and take that experience into the world of work.
It is designed to deliver risk control experience throughout the curriculum.
- A proven method of learning, retaining, and recalling new information
- Interesting, engaging, safe and practical
- Helps students develop valuable employment and life skills
- Contributes to a College's 5Rs - Recruitment, Retention, Results, Recognition, and Rewards
"The college's engagement with the LOcHER project has yielded greater rewards for both staff and students than we ever imagined when we first embarked on the project." - Robbie Ryan, CEO, Blackpool and the Fylde College
"The LOcHER project is a shining example of how all curriculum within D&A College should be modelled." - Simon Hewitt, Vice Principal (Curriculum and Attainment), Dundee & Angus College
- An exciting LOcHER project showcase can be found at: https://locherproject.com/training/locher-project
- See sample case studies, for example on dusts and fume exposure control
- Read the project leaflets
Interested in LOcHER? contact Steering Group Secretariat: email@example.com
SGUK are involved in or support a number of campaigns including
We also support initiatives like:
IOSH No Time to Lose
BOHS Breathe Freely
SafeTea initiative from 3M